Hot Stone Reflexology
Take your Reflexology treatment to the next level and try Hot Stone Reflexology!!
The subtle energies of stone introduced into a treatment calm the senses, relax muscle tension and promote a meditative state.
Hot Stone Reflexology originated in India and China and has been around for centuries. Ancient civilizations believed that hot stones cleansed the body and relaxed the heart, grounding the soul and soothing the mind. As the name implies, the treatment involves using smooth stones which are heated in water.
The stones relax the body at its deepest level and are effective in creating harmony and balance. The subtle energies of stone introduced into a treatment calm the senses, relax muscle tension and promote a meditative state.
The effects and potential benefits of hot stones include:
- Heat penetrates to a much deeper level than finger pressure, reaching around 7cm into tissues. This brings about physiological changes as well as improving energy flow;
- Improves blood circulation & lymphatic drainage;
- Promotes the release & elimination of toxins;
- Boosts immunity and the lymphatic function;
- Relieves tension in connective tissues;
- Reduces muscular tension which will help muscles to relax and repair more efficiently;
- It is warming, deeply relaxing & soothing helping to melt away any tension or anxiety;
- Helps to bring about a balance of body as well as mind.
Use of Hot Stones in Reflexology
The heat helps to relax the muscles in the feet allowing the therapist to work deeper into the reflex areas.
Hot stones can be incorporated into a Reflexology treatment to further enhance the benefits of the treatment. It is estimated that one stroke of a hot stone is worth five strokes with the hand! It is also believed to yield five times deeper and five times longer lasting effects compared to a "normal" Reflexology treatment. The heat helps to relax the muscles in the feet allowing the therapist to work deeper into the reflex areas.
The stones are composed of basalt, a volcanic rock, which due to its high density retains heat well. Stones are firstly used to massage the lower legs (below the knees) relieving any tension in the calf muscles and helping to enhance energy flow. Smaller stones are then used to work the reflex areas and points of the feet. The heat from the stones quickly opens the reflex pathways bringing about a much deeper level of relaxation than Reflexology alone.
Please ensure you wear loose trousers during the treatment to allow me to work the whole leg up to the knee.